Tuesday, May 14, 2013

True Bravery is taking a stand against this nonsense....








I have to admit that I was disappointed in "Brave" as a whole, after seeing it in the theater last summer. That said, I was not disappointed one bit in the lessons it had to offer young girls and their families. One thing I don't remember thinking even once was that Merida was not "attractive enough" to be a princess.  I find it absurd that I'm even typing those words, but it is apparently that very idea that has sparked Disney to do something absolutely disgusting and deeply saddening in my eyes. The image you see above is the "new and improved" Merida who supposedly looks more like a princess now. I know that the sexualization of fantasy characters is nothing new, and I know that it seems to have gotten a lot worse in the comic/sci-fi/fantasy realm as geekdom has suddenly turned to "chicdom". But this is Disney. This is a movie with a lesson for young girls, only now that lesson will include that to be that brave and "unique", one also has to show some skin, have a perfect figure, and have the face of a supermodel. I find it highly ironic that by making these changes to Merida, they have taken away everything that made her look unique; everything outwardly that made her an individual and made that individuality beautiful. Based on the number of signatures, I'm relieved to see that there are still people out there who have not given into the societal monster of unattainable physical perfection and ultra-sexualization. I can only hope and pray that these same people will be able to put their signatures into practice in real life.

Below is the link to the petition. I hope that you will sign it. I also have a link to a little article from an Orlando newspaper noting that Merida's creator is appalled at these changes and is in fact, among those who signed the petition. Props to her from me. She is fighting to keep true beauty alive.


https://www.change.org/petitions/disney-say-no-to-the-merida-makeover-keep-our-hero-brave



http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/blogs/beth-kassab/os-brave-creator-joins-petition-against-disneys-merida-make-over-20130513,0,1342190.post

No comments:

Post a Comment